What to Expect
You probably have a lot of questions, and wonder what you will be doing for the duration of your stay! During your treatment process, you will be totally involved in all aspects of your treatment. You will be given options and will have the freedom to make your own choices. You will gain confidence and self-respect by taking responsibility for the outcomes of your choices. One of the first steps to freedom is self-responsibility and accountability. This process is referred to as client-focused or client-centered treatment.
As you begin to operate within the parameters set out in the guidelines (which are safety oriented); you will have the opportunity to examine your feelings, old belief systems and fears around “authority” and operating within a structured environment.
As you gain a better understanding of the program, you will be able to determine how you can maximize the benefits for yourself during your time here.
While at Round Lake you will:
- Participate in the healing circle to address trauma, shame and grief.
- Be responsible for chores. Chores give you an opportunity to monitor your attitude and skill level in relation to, consistency, self-discipline, leadership qualities, self-confidence, communication, cooperation, organization, and liaison with others.
- Participate in an orientation to the cultural components. If you have not experienced the depth and richness of the Universal Values and Principles of our Culture and the concept of holistic healing of self, this will be a positive experience for you. First Nations culture is about pride, dignity and respect for all living things.
- Have the opportunity to examine your thoughts, feelings, your level of trust, comfort/discomfort as you relate to your peers.
- Attend AA and/or NA Meetings, Big Book studies, hear many different opinions through the Monday night AA guest speakers, have access to working the twelve step program through to step three during your time here.
- Be given an opportunity to examine your family of origin and begin to identify the patterns, behaviors, and beliefs, which are a direct result of the experiences within your family.
- Recognize the impact intergenerational trauma (residential school, foster homes, colonization) had on your family and gain some insights as to what your treatment issues are.
- Participate in many group sessions designed to assist you in your overall treatment process.
- Have access to the wellness room that is equipped with treadmill, elliptical trainers, stationary bikes, along with free weights. In addition, we have a gymnasium where you can play various games.
- Enjoy outstanding meals that are beautifully prepared and served in a bright, open and airy environment of warmth and serenity.